Thursday 26 February 2015

Review: Black Star Riders-The Killer Instinct



Musical Chairs are back. Gary Lee is back! So let's take a look at the new Black Star Riders album The Killer Instinct! Hold on to your hats, this one may just be a bumpy ride! 

The year is 1972 and Thin Lizzy have just recently released their second album Shades Of A...wait, no, that isn't right at all! The Year is 2015 and Black Star Riders have just released their second album, The Killer Instinct. OK that's better. Built from a reunion of Thin Lizzy members after the death of vocalist Phil Lynott and described as "the next step in the Thin Lizzy story" make no mistake about it, these guys ARE Thin Lizzy.....but they aren't, confused? Yeah so am I.

However my confusion runs deeper and pretty much underpins how I feel about this album. The change of name came about since it was apparently decided it was the better thing to do so that the new material wouldn't clash with the legacy the band had made with Lynott. But here's where I get confused; the sound hasn't changed either, which makes the name change seem like a rather pointless gesture. Surely the formation of what is essentially a new band, or if not that a new brand, would have been a good time to explore something new musically? I really cannot understand how an album released today can sound (production differences withstanding) almost like it could have been released 40 years ago, nor can I understand how that is a good thing.

I realise that right now, I am running the risk of riding this train off the rails, but I wasn't aware that hard rock was a modern supported genre. I thought that is was as outdated and geriatric as the people who listen to it, there I said it. Hard rock, I have no idea why you still exist. The album shows it's stuck in reverse too. It's hyper sexualised, stereotypical macho rock album art is almost enough to ward you away. However, it also extends to the track titles; Bullet Blues, Soldierstown, Sex Guns & Gasoline and the ironically titled Through The Motions, which probably should have been the name of this album.

It's not that I don't like the album, it has some good moments. The ballsy blues riff in The Killer Instinct encapsulates the swagger and strut of rock, although I'll say nothing of the rather trite chorus lyrics. Finest Hour has some good sing along moments and a rather nice solo. Soldierstown is at least an attempt at being thought provoking and Turn in Your Arms has a nice groove and some nice guitar work. Sadly, these moments are just that. Moments. It's not that the songs are 'bad' they're just 'done'. Every single one of these songs, could be any one of these songs. The album offers nothing memorable, nothing ground breaking or nothing even new at all.

I want to like this album, I really do. I want to love this band, I want to get excited about it, I want to be able to recommend this to all my friends and I want to be able to tell you readers that "oh man, this album is great, forget buying food, buy this instead." I mean come on! It's Thin-fucking-Lizzy! (kinda) But I can't. I can't because it's not exciting, I can't because they're are better releases this month. I can't because even these riffs won't sustain you and let's be frank, if you wanted to listen to some Thin-Fucking-Lizzy, then you'd be better off buying some classic Thin Lizzy.

Article By: Gary Lee (@thewheelbear)

For more info and to keep up with everything we have to offer here at Musical Chairs, please like and support our Facebook page!

No comments:

Post a Comment