Wednesday 21 January 2015

ALBUM REVIEW: Marilyn Manson- The Pale Emperor

Alternative head honcho, Ryan Sweeney, was given the task to review the latest record to drop from industrial icon Marilyn Manson, The Pale Emperor. Will the album prove that the Anti-Christ Superstar is as relevant as he ever was? Or will it be another in a long line of disappointing and mediocre albums?

What can I say about Marilyn Manson? Probably one of the most inventive and iconic faces of the '90s, releasing a string of great albums such as Portrait of an American Family and Anti-Christ Superstar. These are some of the most celebrated and acclaimed albums in the history of alternative music, indeed they are even some of my personal favorites. The L.A. rocker has developed almost a cult like following over the years, built upon tremendous live performances and lyrics that just spoke to so many disenfranchised teens at the time.

His larger than life persona and his grotesque imagery made him the perfect target for attacks from the far-right. As these attacks became more vicious and frequent, and his relationship with producer and mentor Trent Reznor (of Nine Inch Nails fame) began to crumble, we began to notice a shift in the overall quality of Manson's work. During the 2000's, Manson began putting out albums that myself and many of my peers believed to be sub standard and disappointing - albums such as High End of Low and Born Villain (I shudder just recalling that last one.) These albums were just big let downs and blemish what is otherwise a great track record. Enough about the man's legacy and missteps, you all have undoubtedly stumbled across his work at some point or another. Or at the very least know him by reputation. The question you want answering is whether or not The Pale Emperor is a return to form and if this new album could be a launchpad for a second win in an already star-studded career.

I'm sorry guys, I really am, but in short; I do not like this album.

This album just feels like it is lacking everything! Everything I loved about Manson's early work seems to be missing; there's no wall of pumping, over driven, distorted noise. There is no anthem that makes you want to wave your fist in the air and scream. This is Manson's voice and Manson's lyrics but this is not Marilyn Manson, or at the very least, not the Manson I loved growing up. Something happened when I was listening to this album I never thought would happen to me while listening to Marilyn Manson; I got bored. I actually got bored.

The fuzzy bass playing underneath the tracks is so thin and dull it's jarring to listen to. When I first heard it I thought my speakers were broken, I thought to myself, "wait, aren't Manson bass riffs supposed to blow my speakers? I should be able to feel a Manson bass line in my bones." The riffs are these weird mix of alt-rock and blues patterns that I'm sure sound great, but the guitars are just really varied in the mix that they seem to have no effect. They pop up every now and then, apart from tracks like, Warship My Wreck and Slave Only Dreams to be King. But then again, they're just really dull and uninteresting, they seem to serve no purpose.

Lets just skip over drums while we're at it too, they're lifeless and bland and I cried a little listening to them. Those two mentioned above are the only tracks I can point out as being any sort of stand outs. As a huge Manson fan it pains me to say this but I cannot, in good conscience,  recommend The Pale Emperor. Maybe one day, he will return to former glory. Or maybe we should just grow up and get over this 90's hero turned has-been.

Only time will tell but in this writers opinion, The Pale Emperor is not a foot in the right direction.

R.Sweeney (@TheCautiousCrip)

For more info and to keep up with everything we have to offer here at Musical Chairs, please like and support our Facebook page!

No comments:

Post a Comment