Tuesday 13 January 2015

NEWS! New Death Cab For Cutie album Kintsugi

Indie rock megastars Death Cab For Cutie have announced their 8th studio LP, Kintsugi, will be released on March 31st of this year. Who better to discuss this new development than our Head Alternative writer, Ryan Sweeney - a man whose fangirl scream could be heard across the world earlier today...


Holy new Death Cab album Batman! Where do I start with this? Washington's very own indie rock darlings have announced that they will be releasing a follow up to their last full length LP; 2011's Codes and Keys.


The album, entitled Kintsugi, will be released to the masses on March 31st. I for one am very excited for this album. I love Death Cab, I think they have produced some of the best and most influential alternative rock albums this side of the 90's.

I remember my first foray into Death Cab when a friend of mine let me borrow a copy of Transatlanticism and just having my mind blown. It was so unlike anything I'd heard coming out at that time and from then on I was hooked. They just kept dropping fantastic albums and EP's since then such as Plans and 2008's Narrow Stairs.

Unfortunately and ultimately disappointingly, much like many other listeners and critics, I found Codes and Keys to just be forgettable. It wasn't too bad but it just seemed phoned in and lacked a certain spark that I'd always found in Death Cab's previous work. So I will be a little hesitant going into Kintsugi, especially now the band has parted ways with founding member and producer Chris Waller. Only time will tell of the effect this has had on the band; will it bring the air of freshness the band needs or will it be a stumble at the starting blocks? I don't know but rest assured my dear readers, you will be the first to hear my take on the album when it drops on March 31st.

R.Sweeney (@TheCautiousCrip)

For more info, and to keep up with everything going on at Musical Chairs, please like and support our Facebook page

No comments:

Post a Comment