Thursday 29 January 2015

REWIND REVIEW!: Primus: Sailing the Seas of Cheese

Time for our head alternative writer to turn back the clocks and take a look back at one of his favorite albums: Primus's Sailing the Seas of Cheese. We see why he likes it and why he feels that it still holds up today.

What can I say about Primus? What can I say about this album?  They're two huge questions! Anyone who knows me well knows how much I love Primus. They're one of the most inventive, innovative, exciting and interesting acts that the '90's produced. They just seemed to have all the things I loved about all the '90's; styled funk/groove rock, sprinklings of metal, the progressive rock need to constantly evolve and push boundaries and most importantly, I think, originality. I mean, I can't think of another band who has somehow managed to influence so many people whilst still remaining completely unable to be categorized. It's just unbelievable. Not only do I feel it a great shame that not many folk these days are familiar with the band, but I think as well that it's almost a disservice to Primus themselves, who are probably one of the few bands from that era whose body of work is consistent across the board.

On this album Primus consisted of front-man, mastermind and bass genius Les Claypool (who some of you may remember from his appearance in Bill and Ted's Bogus Journey.) Guitar/Banjo duties were performed by Larry LaLonde and the trio was completed by drummer Tim Alexander (who also provided the water jug parts throughout.) You'll be hard pressed to find another group of musicians whose individual styles just seem meld seamlessly. You have these funk and hip-hop inspired rhythms produced by Alexander, grooving majestically underneath LaLonde's dreamy and atmospheric riffing. It really drags you inside the world that that the band seems to be trying to create within their music.

Of course, no discussion on the music of Primus would be complete without talking about the brains and the driving force of the band, Les Claypool. Claypool's bass playing on this LP is just absolutely mind-blowing! I mean, I've heard John Entwistle, I've heard Flea and I've heard Fieldy; this is a cut above all of those. I don't think I've heard anything quite as creative, interesting or fun played on a bass before. The slap and pop technique is played masterfully throughout the album and it takes the album to a whole new place rhythmically. The way Claypool grooves with Alexander is infectious, you cannot help but nod your head to everything being played. I think it's one of my favorite examples of bass and drums working in perfect conjunction and I believe more artists should take a leaf out of this book. Don't think Claypool is just a bass machine either, his vocal work is as interesting as the music surrounding it. He changes from track to track, sometimes opting for a low nasal tone and other times opting for almost musical theater-esque held notes. It is certainly one of the most unique voices of the 1990's.

This is one of those albums I feel will stand the test of time, great music does not have a sell by date and this is a great example of this. The album was first released in '91 and it still sounds as fresh and vital as it always did. I would honestly say that compared with albums like Korn and Blood, Sugar, Sex, Magik, this is one I'd say has aged the best. Looking back, the others seem so rooted in the '90's and haven't really held up well outside it. This album on the other hand, is so kooky and fun and unique that I feel it could still hold its own in 30 or maybe 40 years time. I cannot recommend this album enough for fans of fun and interesting music. It's certainly a treat to listen to, even after all these years and it's great to see the band still making waves and creating equally great music to this day.

I tip my hat to Mr. Claypool and the band for their work and I wish them all the best for the future because I believe that in this they created more than music; they created a piece of art and for that reason Sailing the Seas of Cheese is my rewind album.

Highlights:
  • American Life
  • Jerry Was a Racecar Driver
  • Is it Luck? 
  • Tommy the Cat
R.Sweeney (@TheCautiousCrip)

For more info and to keep up with everything we have to offer here at Musical Chairs, please like and support our Facebook page!

No comments:

Post a Comment